– Geographical position: Guarene d’Alba (CN).
– Area of vines: Ha 1.48.00
– Year of planting: 1970
– Exposure and altitude: South – West, 250 m above sea level.
– Soil composition: Chalky marl of Tortonian origin.
– Training system: Low guyot on hills with good slope.
– Yield per Hectare: 40 Hl/Ha
– Alcohol content: 14 -14,5%
– Total acidity: 5,5 – 6,0 g/l
– Grape variety: Barbera.
– Vinification: Fermented for 9 days with manual stirring and délastage then decanted into stainless steel vats and wooden casks (both barrique and traditional barrels), where malolactic fermentation takes place.
– Refinement: 18 months of maturation in oak casks, after which it is decanted, and left to rest for 3 months then bottled.
– Ageing potential: over 10 years.
THE ORGANOLEPTIC PROFILE
– Colour: Ruby red: “Barbera Gerbole stands alongside the greatest wines. The colour alone reveals the fullness and impenetrability of its character” – Gigi Piumatti, Slow Food.
– Nose: Intence aroma of black cherry and a hint of spice.
– Palate: Rich in marked flovours; soft, velvety and enveloping.
– Serving temperature: 18 – 20 °C / 64 – 68 °F
– Serving suggestion: A wine for the whole meal, particularly suitable for serving with grilled red meat, ripe seasoned cheeses or alone as a meditation wine.